20 February 2009

So, Santa Fe is a very dog-friendly and also a not-dog-friendly place. LOTS of people have dogs here. We see those people out with their dogs all the time. Lots of people like to stop me and comment on Max and talk about Weimaraners. Today we were on our way to the park up the hill, and a man in a car, coming up the hill too, stopped alongside me to compliment how pretty Max is and to talk about Weimaraners. We stopped traffic! That was a first for me.

On the other hand, Santa Fe has a strict leash law (dogs must ALWAYS be on a leash), and there is ONE off-leash area in the whole city. Just one! We had dinner with some folks last night, and they told us about how the animal control people are super crazy about enforcing the leash law too, and they ticket people all the time, apparently.

When Max and I got to the park this afternoon, I was looking at some birds and heard someone talking off in the bushes. It became apparent that it was a lady and that she was talking into a video recorder on a tripod. I couldn't really hear what she was saying, but then I heard her say, "... and I'm coming to you from Santa Fe, New Mexico. ... applying for the Best Job in the World!" And I thought of you, Kim! You have competition! Uh oh! I felt like it was a small world that I know someone who was applying for that, and then ran into someone at the park this afternoon who was also preparing a tape...

I have a cold and just took some head-clearing nighttime medicine, so I'd better get ready for bed. Tomorrow we're going hiking again, somewhere where we're more likely to see desert plants (and animals?) and some cool geology. I'll tell you all about it and post some photos when we get back!

No comments: