22 February 2009

Hello! Yesterday and Spencer, Max and I went out for a hike. I had scoped out a place in our hike book called Tent Rocks, and it looked cool, so we went there. It was 30-45 minutes from Santa Fe and cost only $5 to visit. The book told us that it would be an easy hike around some cool pointy rocks, that the hike goes up to a viewpoint, and that there was a slot canyon. The book called this place "a geological wonderland". I've been aching for a long time to see cool rocks and canyons, so I was excited to go.

This place was one of the coolest places I have ever been! I thought it was so so cool. The slot canyon was amazing. I would love to see more. The weather was gorgeous, not too hot, not too cold. The hike was not difficult and the trail was great. It was short, and going up to the viewpoint was awesome too, because then we could see down onto the canyon.



In detail, we walked from the parking lot along the cliffs, then up through the slot canyon. The trail went to the back of the canyon, and then up the hill to the top of the cliff. We returned by the same route. I had such a good time. It was a super cool place to visit.

We finished our day with a beer at a local pub (in walking distance from our house), and then we went over to a nice restaurant for dinner. We chose that restaurant so that we could try out some "New Mexican" cuisine. As far as we can tell, the key ingredient to New Mexican food is chile sauce, in both red and green. We had some green chile stew, which was spicy but delicious. Then Spencer had a couple little burritos and I had chicken enchiladas. Both were spicy, but very good. It was really nice to go out to a nice dinner, and it wasn't expensive, which was good too.

We had a really nice day. I will post some more photos on my photo gallery in a minute, if you care to see...

3 comments:

KIM! said...

that was one of my favorite hikes!!! I loved that place and one of my photos of the tents is in my top ten travel photos. :) glad you liked it.

smilinurse said...

What incredible photography!!!!! Thank you for sharing your blog and beautiful pictures.

Sabrina said...

Showed your pics to the kids today-we are reading a story about cactuses and the pics were fun to show. They were so excited and talked about you and Spencer as if they new you personally! Cracked me up!