23 May 2008

So I have another story to tell you. I was working peacefully at my desk in the bedroom this afternoon, and it was nice and sunny outside (unlike the situation in most of the west today—suckers!), so I had the big window open so I could feel like I was outside even though I was inside working on my computer. There was a commotion in the bushes just on the other side of the fence, so I watched to see what was going on. Then suddenly an eagle flew out of the bushes and landed in a tree nearby. I thought that was weird, but was even weirder was that the rustling in the bushes didn’t stop. So I grabbed my camera and stuck the big lens on, and went out to the open door in the living room to watch. But the crashing in the bushes was still pretty weird. Then two more eagles flew out and away, but there was still some more crashing. Another one was stuck in there, and that’s when I started to freak out a bit. As you may know, eagles don’t hang out on the ground in the bushes. I was getting sure that something was wrong and that maybe the eagle that was left was hurt or something. I didn’t want to get too close, either, because being near a hurt eagle’s talons and beak is not somewhere you want to be. Anyhow, by this time the eagle had made up against the back of the open gate in the fence, and kept jumping against to get through. I was terrified that it was going to come around and be horribly maimed, like with someone's barbed wire on it or something. What would I do with a wounded eagle? My heart was pounding as I stood in the yard with my camera. Eventually the eagle made it around the gate and hopped up onto the fence, rested a minute, and then flew away just fine, not hurt at all. It was a crazy experience and I was a bit worked up for a while because of it. But I got a decent photo.

No comments: