Good morning and happy weekend! I have a few hours of work to do this morning, but that's no problem. Already I have slept in and gone about my morning business very slowly compared to workdays. I'm going to take the afternoon off and probably do some knitting, but I have to work tomorrow because Spencer and I are going to Port Alberni on Monday to do all of our town things.
We had some exciting weather yesterday. Spencer and I went to the marine station in the late morning, and it was sunny out, though windy. I was working in the library (the view on the webcam is the view from the library). Then in the afternoon we could see this ugly black storm off in the distance. And it got closer and closer, and at one point just a little ways away I could see the edge of the cloud-- it was black with blue sky behind. Then it started to hail, and the wind blew hard, and it snowed! Big fat flakes! Remember when I thought March 28 was a bit late for snow?! Anyhow, I and a couple of other people stood at the window in the library and watched in disbelief. There were big white-topped waves in the inlet and the boats were going up and down. We saw someone try and leave the West Side, then they got a little ways out and changed their minds and turned around to go back! It got so dark and the snow was falling so hard that I could just barely make out the buildings on the other side.
Then I had to leave to go to the crab lab, and it really did feel like winter! It sucked too because I hadn't worn any rain gear over since it was nice and sunny when we left, and that storm wasn't in sight. But actually, by the time we were ready to go home a couple of hours later, it was all mostly over. The water was calm again and there was hardly any wind, with only a couple regular sprinkly raindrops. Crazy.
Other news is that I have a trip to the North Bay planned now, and I'm really excited about it. I leave here April 29 and return on May 9. I'll be busy doing work things while I'm there, but I think that will be really good. We've got some meetings planned with collaborators, which I'm also looking forward too, and I'll get to see all of my friends and talk with Karina too.
Anyhow, I have to get to work so that I can get it over with before the afternoon begins. I hope you all are having a good Saturday morning!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment